Be Active & Eat Well
Aroostook County has one of the highest rates of obesity in the state. Local resources help promote recommended levels of physical activity and proper nutrition in order to assist community members in living healthier lifestyles in the following ways:
- Supporting nutrition and physical activity programs in schools,
- Promoting nutrition policies in various community settings,
- Promoting community-based initiatives that promote health lifestyle choices for children, youth, and families,
- Worksite wellness programs
- Trail Development.
Working towards a healthier you can seem like a long and difficult process, you are trying to change your long-term habits and practices so you may not be able to make all the changes you’d like at once. There are many simple ways you and your family can work toward your long-term health goals by trying something new every month, every week or every day. It all adds up. Check out the resources below and remember to consult your physician if you are starting a new exercise program or have questions about what is best for your health.
- Looking for something to do? Power of Prevention in Partnership with Healthy Aroostook has created a guide to recreation opportunities and facilities in Aroostook County. Simply select the type of activity you would like to participate in and find an opportunity near you.
PA & N Resources:
- Healthy Habits for Life (Parents and Teachers): www.sesameworkshop.org/initiatives/health/healthyhabits
- 5 2 1 0 (Parents and Teachers): www.letsgo.org
- 5 2 1 0 Goes to Work (Workers and Parents): http://letsgo.org/resources/workplacetoolkit.php
- Lets Move! (Parents, Teachers and Communities): www.letsmove.gov
- Healthy Eating @ Health.com: eating.health.com